Al Adidi and Al Ali claim second win for Victory Team
The Victory Team’s duo of Salem Al Adidi and Eisa Al Ali powered their way to their second straight victory in as many days in Race Two of the Zhengzhou Grand Prix, the first round of the 2017 UIM XCAT World Championship.
The Dubai-based team duo finished clear of fellow UAE racers Rashid Al Tayer and Majid Al Mansoori in their Team Abu Dhabi boat to lead a fine one-two finish for UAE teams on the Longhu Lake.
Held in gloomy conditions, the Dubai-based crew led from start-to-finish to hold off the challenge from their great Emirati rivals for the second successive day to take an early advantage in the eight-race 2017 UIM XCAT World Championship. Australian Brett Luhrmann and Norway’s Pal-Virik Nilsen did one better than Saturday’s fourth place finish to round off the podium places in their boat, Blue Roo.
The experienced pairing of Giovanni Carpitella and Joakhim Kumlin finished fourth in their 222 Offshore boat while the Italian pairing of Serafino Baresi and Alessandro Barone completed the top five in their Fujairah Racing 20 boat.
Multiple World champion Aref Saif Al Zafe’in who has teamed up with Great Britain’s Scott Williams did well to work their way up through the standings to secure ninth place and claim vital points.
“It would have been nice to take a win this weekend, but we have started the XCAT championship well and that is what matters for us to head into the next round with two strong finishes while putting ourselves in a good position to maintain the challenge for the title over the next couple of weeks,” said Team Abu Dhabi’s Al Tayer.
The Zhengzhou Grand Prix marks a welcome return to the calendar for offshore racing after the UIM Class One racing series failed to find a regular promoter and the UIM took control of XCAT racing and announced a four-round calendar comprising of a total of eight races.
Now being run under the auspices of world governing body UIM, the second of three back-to-back Chinese races will move to Weihei from October 20 to 22 and then on to Xiamen (October 27-29), after which the eleven boats will head to Dubai for the season-finale in the first week of December.
Results of Race Two at the Zhengzhou Grand Prix – Round One of the 2017 UIM XCAT World Championship, on Sunday:
1. Victory 3 (Salem Al Adidi (UAE)/Eisa Al Ali (UAE) 30min 44.68sec
2. Team Abu Dhabi 5 (Rashid Al Tayer (UAE)/Majid Al Mansouri (UAE) +22.34sec
3. The Blue Roo (Team Australia) 8: Brett Luhrmann (Australia)/Pal Virik Nilsen (Norway) +36.96sec
4. 222 Offshore 10: Giovanni Carpitella (Italy)/Joakhim Kumlin (Sweden) +54.45sec
5. Fujairah Team 20: Serafino Barlesi (Italy)/Alessandro Barone (Italy) +1min 05.34sec
6. New Star 9: Mikhail Kitashev (Russia)/Dmitry Vandyshev (Russia) +1min 12.15sec
7. Caccia Engineering 22: Diego Testa (Italy)/Daniele Martignoni (Italy) +1min 16.07sec
8. Lady Spain 46: Roberto Lo Piano (Italy)/Andrea Comello (Italy) +1min 37.45ec
9. Al Wasl 7: Arif Saif Al Zafe’in (UAE)/Scott Williams (Great Britain) +1min 55.02sec
(DNF) Raheeb 17: Abdul Latif Al Omani (Kuwait)/Mustafa Al Dashti (Kuwait) 1 lap behind (DNF)
(DNF) Swecat Racing 2: Mikael Bengtsson (Sweden)/Erik Stark (Sweden) 4 laps behind.